My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://sewforthandsewon.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.

Sew Forth and Sew On: Fusible Interfacing Redux...

Friday, August 3, 2007

Fusible Interfacing Redux...

Well, I have ironed what feels like a million little 3" squares of fusible interfacing to a variety of different fabric scraps. I have learned a lot, but I sure feel stupid because I thought I knew everything I needed to learn at some point in my sewing career.

First, it did not seem to make a difference what temperature the iron was set on, and it did not seem to matter if it was a dry or steam iron. I tried using a damp cloth on a few samples, and learned that that is only a good idea if the fabric can handle it. Pre-shrinking the interfacing did not make a difference either, but my interfacing may have already been pre-shrunk.

There are two points I learned that are of the most value to me.

1) Do not slide the iron while applying fusible interfacing. Sliding the iron seemed to produce a lot of bubbles and wrinkles on the fabric side. Just set and lift the iron over the interfacing. Now, I am sure that I have applied interfacing just like this before, but why I forgot, I will never know.

2) Trim the interfacing so that it is 1/8 to 1/4" smaller than the fabric you are ironing it to. I knew this, but never paid it any mind. I have always just cut the interfacing to the size of the pattern piece and applied, but I noticed that with my samples that I got a better adherence if the interfacing did not come completely to the edge of the fabric.

Hopefully, this newly remembered knowledge with help me to apply fusible interfacing with more success.

No comments: